Saturday 5 September 2015

Eats | Gatehouse Coffee, Walmgate Bar, York


It was August Bank Holiday Monday in Britain - so of course it was raining. I wanted to go somewhere cozy to begin reading a history tome, and as I was strolling along I saw a sign for a coffee shop, set in the gatehouse of the ancient city walls of York. I made the decision to go and check it out.






I think the best way to describe the atmosphere and decor in this lovely, friendly little place was 'Gryffindor Common Room'. Essentially, it was a coffee shop inside an ancient castle. It was full of little nooks of seating and eclectic furniture. It even had a terrace area on top of the gatehouse, but due to the rain this was closed.

I had a hot cocoa with cream and marshmallows, with a mini brownie. It was all brought to me in my little reading nook and I was delighted to discover that the brownie had been heated to gently melting deliciousness. So delighted was I that I proceeded to have 2 more brownies after that. After all, for 30p each, who can complain? The hot chocolate was also very good and the range of teas and coffees looked broad, if you are a tea/coffee drinker.







This was a wonderful place to spend a rainy afternoon, so much so that I hesitate to tell anyone about it in case it gets too popular. Nevertheless, go and check it out - take a book or a friend and get cozy.


2 comments:

  1. That looks super cosy. Next time I visit York, this place is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful. Been meaning to go. Anything described as 'Gryffindor Common Room' gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete