Friday 11 September 2015

Eats | Cote Brasserie, York



For a generous, French style brasserie lunch, I recently decided to try out the Cote Brasserie in York. The restaurant does a set menu at certain times but we were taking out choices from the a la carte.

Decor is minimalist, with slight art deco touches by simple and clean. The most beautiful aspect of the restaurant was definitely the lovely tiled floor.


To begin my dining companion had the chicken liver parfait, which came with toasted brioche and a fine chutney. I sampled the calamari, which came with a tartare sauce. I can report that the calamari was cooked well, not too chewy, and the batter was actually flavoursome, with tastes of herbs and slight citrus - a detail often missing from other calamari dishes and much appreciated here.

For main course I had moules frites, which was good quality, lots of mussels and a good sauce. The frites were also crisp and well seasoned. My dining partner had the fish stew, which he told me was pleasant but not as rich as he had expected - he had had better, in other words, but couldn't point out any negative aspects to this stew.



We enjoyed our meal and accompanied it with a nice bottle of Bordeaux. Service was friendly and attentive, although it was quiet when we were there.

This meal wasn't cheap - it came to around £65 for both of us - so I would probably not eat here very often given that it is, essentially, a brasserie. I'd be interested in giving the set menu a go though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment