Sunday 5 July 2015

What I've Been Reading | June 2015


This month (better late than never...) hasn't been a very wide ranging reading month for me, mostly because, as you can see, I was still trying to get through A Suitable Boy. 


A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

This was a bit of a slog by the end, which I found sad as I did enjoy the story. Unfortunately, I was pretty fed up of reading it and just wanted it to be over. I enjoyed the wide range of characters and the context, as I said in my previous review; however, I don't like feeling desperate to finish a book, especially one of such high acclaim and such deserved praise. 

If Seth ever finishes A Suitable Girl, the sequel, I might consider reading it; but it is another 1500 pages, I might think twice.


The Iron Hand of Mars by Lindsey Davis

Some light relief this month came from a book  in a long running Roman detective series I have been enjoying. Marcus Didius Falco, the main character, is a detective, spy and general government dogsbody who often finds himself involved in the shady dealings of the Roman Emperors. The books are funny, often moving, and full of interesting detail about Roman life. This particular instalment was set around the Roman occupation of Germany and whilst not my favourite in the series so far, I still enjoyed it. 

I would highly recommend this series, which begins with The Silver Pigs and goes on from there. Davis is a writer who is able to combine meticulous detail with humour, drama and adventure.


Dolly by Susan Hill

Another little book that I managed to fit in was this ghost story by Susan Hill. Based on 2 characters and their time as children staying with a maiden aunt, this book has an interesting premise and is full of foreboding and good atmosphere. 

The idea of the evil doll is a good one, but somehow it didn't leave too much of an impression on me. I have read other Hill stories that I enjoyed more.

No comments:

Post a Comment